Power Resistor Manufacturer
We design and manufacture power resistor products for use in a wide range of applications including InRush protection applications, High Power / High Voltage Load Banks, grounding resistors, dynamic braking, motors and snubber circuits. We specialise in resistor designs for specialist applications and manufacture product in medium to low volume
Thick film high power resistor product has a number of advantages over wire wound alternatives including small size (high resistance density) significantly lower cost, lower inductance (faster frequency response) and improved thermal management (heat sinking). Thick film power resistors are also more resistant to mechanical, thermal and chemical stresses than their wirewound equivalents.
Thick Film Power Resistor Design Issues
In any application there are several key power resistor design issues to consider including:
- Transients and pulses need careful consideration as they can cause instantaneous temperature rise in the resistor film and damage the resistor.
- The standard operating conditions (particularly peak voltage) must be considered to ensure the power resistor will not be damaged and / or its resistance changed due to medium to long term loading effects.
- The management of heat in the high power resistor device is crucial but it is also important to consider products surrounding the resistor on the circuit board and the effect of a temperature rise on their performance.
The choice of appropriate material for both the substrate and the conductor material is important if resistor failure or reduced long term performance due to current transients is to be avoided. Alternatively, special carrier materials such as silicone nitrite may be used to produce high power resistors operating in the KWatt range. TSEC Engineers are always available to offer advice on the best resistor design for any application.
Required Resistor Application Information
We work with customers to understand the application and all resistor design issues to ensure we design and manufacture a custom power resistor product that is fit for purpose. At the earliest opportunity in the design cycle we therefore require the following information to ensure all design issues are considered
- Nominal resistance (Ohms).
- Resistor tolerance.
- Operating temperature.
- Peak voltage.
- Any known transient conditions.
- Dimensional constraints.
- Termination type (and length of pins).
- Coating material (if any).
TSEC has supplied numerous components for Resistor Load Banks with power ratings as high as 25 KWatts @ 140 KVolts. Other examples include High Power Resistors 100 mm by 50 mm on 1 mm thick Alumina Ceramic that can handle 500 Watts provided the element temperature is kept constant at around 60 °C.
Please contact TSEC on 01207 230728 to discuss your thick film power resistor manufacture and design issues.